Saturday, March 15, 2008

Pikelets

Already bored of giving TP the same breakfasts and trying to let him enjoy a range of new tastes last week we tried home-made pikelets for the first time. Pikelets, you know, those flat crumpets. I found a recipe for them and thought, I can do those and although they didn't come out looking like shop bought, they tasted rather yummy and TP agreed, he even tried to steal mine!

The recipe for the pikelets is below, the original recipe called for 1/4 cup of sugar which I found made them far too sweet, obviously if you want to add it you can but they taste much better without in my opinion.

Pikelets - makes approx 10 large

Ingredients
1 Egg
3/4 cup of milk
1 cup of standard white flour - I used organic plain, I think white bread flour would work too
1 tsp of baking powder
1/4 tsp lo-salt
25g (1oz) melted butter - I used unsalted. Butter is optional but highly recommended!

Method
Put the flour (recipe calls for sifted - I didn't and it was ok!), salt & baking powder in a bowl
Beat the egg (and sugar if adding) until thick and then add the milk
Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir then add the melted butter
Mix carefully until smooth (I did it all in my food mixer)
Drop tablespoon fulls of mixture into a lightly oiled (think pancakes) pan or griddle and let cook over a medium heat until a few bubbles appear on top and burst, then turn over with a spatula and cook on the other side until golden brown.

Serve with butter, cream cheese, jam or whatever you fancy! There is no reason why you couldn't make double quantities and freeze.



No comments: