Thursday, February 7, 2008

A day of new dishes

As TP is off his food still, I thought I would see if he would eat something new. So, armed with a couple of recipes, noodles with ketchup from babyledweaning.com and blueberry bran muffins from a book called Healthy Cooking For Your Kids (ISBN 1-40546-993-5), although I adapted them slightly. We had noodles for lunch and muffins for afternoon tea.

TP tucked into his noodles and especially enjoyed the mushrooms (another new thing!), although the noodles were a bit sticky - I think I maybe needed to add a bit of water or maybe I cooked them for too long. TP's pincer grip is really coming along now he picked up his peas, which were quite small without too many problems. Putting ketchup in noodles sounded really gross to me but a friend of mine tried them and said they were really nice, so I thought I would give it a go - Im not a great cook so anything thats easy is good by me! So, with an open mind I dug into my share of the noodles and was pleasantly suprised at how yummy they were.

The muffins came out perfectly, I've never made them before and had to substitute and leave out a few of the ingredients so I was slightly nervous! I was quite suprised how much he seemed to enjoy them.

The recipes are below, for the noodles I would just use however much of everything that you want to, it all depends on how strong in flavour and what you want to put in there!


Noodles - makes enough for Mummy & Baby

Ingredients

1/2 bag of ready made chow mein noodles
Olive oil
Squirt of garlic paste / fresh garlic
Sprinkling of five spice
A couple of dribbles of soy sauce
A few squirts of tomato ketchup
A few prawns (I used defrosted ready cooked prawns)
1/4 of red oinion
1 mushroom
Handful of frozen garden peas

Method

Heat the olive oil in a wok
Add the garlic and five spice and the onion, stir-fry until the onion softens a little
Add the prawns and mushroom and cook until they are cooked and then add the peas
Stir in the noodles and add the soy sauce and ketchup and keep stir-frying until the noodles are heated through

You can add any vegetables that you want, I just used what was in the house but next time I will probably add some mange tout and baby sweetcorn too and maybe use sprig onions instead of red oinions.


Blueberry Bran Muffins - makes 10 small muffins

Ingredients

150g/5 1/2 oz white plain flour
100g/3 1/2 oz wholemeal self-raising flour
1 tbsp oat bran - I used ground up All Bran (its all I had in the cupboard that was remotely bran-like!)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
50g/1 3/4oz light brown soft sugar
1 large egg
250ml / 7fl oz buttermilk - I made a substitute with 230ml milk & 1 tbsp lemon juice
180g fresh blueberries

Method
Preheat the oven to 180c/350f/Gas Mark 4 and line 10 holes of a muffin tin with muffin paper cases
Mix the flours, bran, baking powder, bicarb of soda together in a bowl and stir in the sugar
Whisk the egg and buttermilk together together in a jug
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir briefly to combine. Don't overmix - the mixture
should still be a little lumpy. Fold in the blueberries
Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes until risen and lightly browned
Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin (Or foof on one and burn your mouth when you taste it like I did!!)
Serve warm or cold, with greek yoghurt or cream (for Mum!)

No comments: